Friday, October 9, 2015

300: Why I Strive for a Temple Marriage

This week in my Marriage class for my Marriage & Family Studies major, we focused a lot on the differences between a contract marriage, also known as a civil marriage, and a covenant marriage, what is also known as a temple marriage to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I must start out saying that this class is opening my eyes and helping me prepare for marriage in ways I never imagined. Also, it is not only helping me prepare for marriage, but also for parenthood. It is helping me figure out what I hope for in my marriage and family, and how I can fight against anything that might try and destroy my marriage.

Obviously, this topic is near and dear to heart for several reasons. One, the marriage of my parents and how it has affected me. Two, the marriages of my siblings, and how their families (my brother in-laws, nieces, nephews, etc.) have made such a profound impact on my life. Third, the family of Adonai, and their cherished words and pieces of advice given to me about marriage. And last, but certainly not least, the awaited time for when I get to marry Adonai.

I realize that I have lots of friends, family, peers, and coworkers who aren't very familiar with what we refer to as a "temple marriage" or the benefits of it. So with the help of some divine guidance in my words hopefully, this my attempt at explaining it all very simply. :)

There are temples all over the world; there are well over 100 temples! This one in the first two photos is in Seattle! The closest one to me currently is in the Tri-Cities, though.


Seattle LDS Temple


Buenos Aires, Argentina LDS Temple


And the most well-known temple is this one:
Salt Lake City Temple


Many things happen in the temple, but our main purpose there is to learn, make covenants (promises) with God, and help others make those promises. When speaking of a temple marriage, for me, the main difference is that the temple marriage is not just between the man and woman and state. Yes, we have that paper, as well, but as husband and wife, we aren't joined together "until death do us part". We are sealed together for time and all eternity. Getting into heaven is not free, nor is it easy. It requires some effort on our part and some vital ordinances and covenants. And for me, heaven wouldn't be quite so "heavenly" if I didn't have my family with me. I don't want to be there alone. I want to know that after this life, I will get to have my husband and family with me. Forever. So a temple marriage is a covenant (promise) between the husband, wife, and God. As long as my husband and I fulfill these promises faithfully, God will keep his promise to us. We can be exalted and live in His presence with Him, Jesus Christ, the Holy Ghost, AND our families forever.

I know that these covenants are sacred and important. I understand the importance of a civil marriage and the binding contracts it is, but I want the blessings of a temple marriage and the sealing promise that comes with it, too. I believe in forever families. I know these things to be true, and I will continue to strive every day to make them true for me and my future family.

No comments:

Post a Comment