Monday, February 3, 2014

Tarde de Cine y Investigaciones

First off, I´ve got another Language Study Story! (: So our neighbor has a pretty rough-looking dog. That one that came trembling on New Year´s because of the fireworks? Yeah. Him. One day last week, we walk out of our apartment, and I see that dog lying about in his dirt hole. "Fah. Mangy dog," I said. Hermana Cerrato gives me her confused-look, and asks me what "mangy" means...I´m almost positive that mangy doesn´t have a translation to Spanish haha. But either way, Hermana Cerrato learned the word "mangy", and every now and then we´d walk by a strange looking cat or something, and she´d respond, "Ja! Hey, mangy CAT!" I´d chuckle, nod my head, and say, "Yup! Perfect Hermana."...Well, we were walking down the street, and the we walk by a roughed-up homeless man. Hermana Cerrato makes a little laugh, and says, "Ha. Hey, Hermana, mangy MAN."

Oh my heck, I died laughing. I felt SUPER bad, because it was pretty rude, but oh man I died. Luckily she recognized she shouldn´t say that, "Ah, quizás eso es un poco...mal, no?"

Uh, yes. Just a little.

Alright, Movie Night!! Well, we changed it to "Tarde" de Cine, because all of the Argentines chuckled, "Why are you called it a movie NIGHT? Six o´clock is still the afternoon!"

FINE. Done and done. We changed it. TARDE de Cine.

The plan was to invite the members, who had to bring a friend! At about 6:10, there were only members in the chapel, waiting for it to start, without a single non-member friend. Bah. Then, out of the blue, we see a kid walking up to the church. Looks about 16 years old or so. He walks in, looking a little lost, and asks (while looking around at us EIGHT missionaries), "Uhhh I was told there was a movie playing here tonight...?" YES! He´s a friend from one of the Young Men in our ward, but this kid (his name is Juan) was from Lujan. That´s fine! He got to talking with the elders, and turns out his brother got baptized a little while back, and the elders just started teaching HIM. But he hadn´t been to church before. So, those genius elders, decide to show Juan the baptismal font. NICE JOB, ELDERS. Juan is now thinking about getting baptized, as well. (:

AND, a friend of one of the Young Women came, too! Call it a coincidence, but we´ve actually talked with that gal before! Her name is Rocío, and she´s SUPER cute. (: Such a doll. So yeah, we´ll going by to visit her, too. (:

Investigations!! So about a week and a half ago, we pull out our ward directory and go looking for some members that we don´t know. We knock on the door of one of the addresses, and no one answers. So we leave a little Jesus card and a little note of the back. This last week, one of our appointments fall through, and so we head out to visit some other people. We pass that door again, and we choose to try it again. A woman answers, "Hey girls, how are you? What ya need?" We introduce ourselves, "We´re the missionaries from the church..." Her: "Church? Of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints? I´ve never been to that church before."

Oh? "Oh, well that´s strange, we have you in our list of members, it says that you were baptized."

Woman: "Nope. Never got baptized. Who are you looking for?"

Us: "Juana del Caren Gomez...?"

Woman: "Nope, I´m María Gonzalez..."

Hermana Cerrato: "Oh! How interesting! Can we come in and sing you a song and have a prayer??" (Yeah, she´s bomb and bold. I love it.)

María: "Claro! Pasen chicas."

We were kind of in awe. We had a great little charla, and María just starts opening to us like crazy. She seems a little prideful, a little hard to get to her heart, but still really nice...And then we choose to sing "Conmigo quedate, Señor" for her. (Abide with me ´tis eventide?) Fah. Hymns are the greatest thing ever. We hit the second line of the first verse, I glance up, and María is in tears...

We left that on a good note, and she asked us, "Chicas just tell me what I need to do to change, and I´ll do it." ...YES...She is incredible...We went back, and we wanted to show her a mormon.org video that we found. She opens up her laptop, and I DIE when I see what her laptop shows for her name:

JUANA DEL CAREN

What. The...? I was wicked confused. So yesterday, we searched for her records, and YUP. It´s her. She doesn´t remember being baptized, but she IS a member haha. And now, we´re super excited to help her reactivate. (:

And nowww...I´m gonna send another update for photos. (: CHAU!

No comments:

Post a Comment