Sunday, March 18, 2012

Whoever Said, "Baseball Isn't For Girls"?!

Last Saturday morning, I woke up to a GLORIOUS warm sunny day! To be honest, I have no idea how warm it actually was, but I know for a fact that it was the warmest it has ever been this winter. Definitely above 50 degrees. (; So I got up in a fantastic mood, took a lovely shower, and sat down in the front entry to finish some homework. Well I had to run out to the car to get my scriptures for my Book of Mormon homework, annnnd I got caught. By the sunshine. And the warm sidewalk out back. So I sat on the concrete, next to the old garage out back and soaked in a good half hour of sunshine in my t-shirt and sweats (I hadn't shaved, so I opted not to wear shorts haha). I headed inside to finish my homework, only to find all of my roommates and FHE brothers waiting inside for me. You can imagine my absolute confusion. Jarrod asked, "Ready for soccer?!"...Oh yeah. Jessi had gone to the store to buy a soccer ball, because she was in the mood to get out in the sun and play. Well they were somewhat pushing me to go, and for some reason that put me in a bad mood, so I didn't want  to go. I finally told them I was not going, and I went to finish my paper.

They all left.
I felt guilty.

So I hurried up and got my paper down within a short 20 minutes and headed out to the park. Planning on just taking a few pictures of them, I wore my BYU-Idaho sweats and flip flops. Smart me. I didn't think about the fact that all of the snow had literally JUST melted that day, probably. It was unbelievably muddy as heck! Haha. I find my wonderful friends and find that they're playing soccer in half mud, half grass; it looked as though several of them had slipped and fallen. I took off my sandals, since my feet were already soaking. I walked around, snapped a few pictures, and got some good laughs out of it all.

Eventually my FHE bros got tired of just watching me watch them, so they decided that everyone should go barefoot! Lo and behold, I had to join in. Holy crap, what a blast. We played a little bit more soccer, tossed a few handfuls of mud, and continued to attack and trip one another in the slippery, wet mud/grass mixture haha. It went on for quite some time (even a bit of wrestling occurred haha), but we finally decided to be done and had to take a picture of our awesomely hilarious momentous occasion. Here we be!

From left to right:
John, Jared, Jason, Gill, me, Alec, Jarrod, Leah, and Jessi!


I don't think I've quite that much fun outside throughout the past two semesters. So awesome. Anywho! We started walking home, carrying our shoes. Needless to say, our feet were pretty raw. We were stopped about halfway home by a few guys putting together a presentation for Coinstar. They asked us if we could all do a pyramid, and they'd record us all yelling, "COINSTAR!" We didn't care, but the pyramid sounded fun, so we were all in haha. Well I asked for them to take a picture for me, too. (:

Top: Jessi and me
Middle: Jared, Gill, Leah
Bottom: Jason, Jarrod, John, Alec


We felt like pretty cool people. (; We kept walking home, enjoying the looks we were receiving from those who passed by haha. We got to the corner where the guys would go to their dorm and we'd go to our apartment, and all of us decided that hosing off and eating cookies sounded amazing. We made plans to make cookies that night, and we went our separate ways as we all called dibs on who showered first haha. Well we got home, and I had to get a couple pictures of just us four girls who went!

Gill, Leah, Jessi, and I. (:


Why, yes, I am a Mud Monster.


Gill and I, with the creepin' Jessi.


Us girls still liked the idea of hosing off, so we found the hose on the side of the house. (No, our managers didn't bother to get the water out before winter set in. Smart.) I try turning it on a tad and don't find any water coming out. So I detach different sections of the hose and get the chunks of ice out haha. It worked! And the water was colder than the Pacific Ocean!! We didn't really hose ourselves completely, but I washed off my face and arms. Everyone else washed off their legs, shoes, face, etc. Jessi jumped in the shower, but us other three gals were still disgusting and didn't dare go inside haha. So I got a pair of shorts, and Gill, Leah, and I sat out on the side of the house to get warm and dry. We later were able to go inside, wash off, and eventually make no-bake cookies with the boys. (:


Stan, our turtle, also decided to come sunbathing with us. (;


Sunday, after church, our ward was having a "Sweet Swap"; all FHE families had to bring a dessert, and the entire ward would have a dessert buffet! Well we ate all the cookies, so I volunteered to make the infamous Conference Coffee Cake! And holy cow was it amazing! We may or may not have nibbled on it before taking it to the sweet swap... :P


I realize that I've already mentioned how much I love my coaching and baseball theory class, but I've gotten even more into it all as the semester goes on. I have never missed a day of either class, simply because I don't want to miss it! I enjoy it; naturally a person is going to attend a Mariner's game if they already have entrance, a way to get there, and they love it. So why not go?! Duh. (; Well a couple weeks ago I had taken a coaching test on Monday, and the next day I had taken a baseball test on team defense. I walk into class this last Monday, and Coach Schleg finally has our tests graded. I was a little worried how I'd do, because I wasn't able to study and read as much as I'd like...Wellll...No need to worry or fret, Shelan. I did fine. (;


I was pretty stoked. We had a great class discussion, as always. Leave, go to baseball class on Tuesday, and Coach didn't have those tests done yet. Oh well. Walk into coaching on Wednesday, and Coach pats my shoulder, winks, and says, "Nice job, Shelan". (Note: He has yet to say my name right. I don't really care anymore. He says it "Shee-lan". He's a coach, though, so he tends to shorten most names haha. Occasionally I'm "She" baha!) Anywho, I give him a confused look, and then it clicks. "Oh! On the baseball test?! Did I do alright??" "Hold up, I'll let you know in a sec," he says. Oy. Way to put me on the edge of my seat. He asks me to give the prayer, he starts the class, and he starts off, "So before I really start, I want to point out Shee-lan here real quick...She's in another of my classes, which we recently took a test in, as well. She scored a 92. Highest score in the entire class. That's not too bad, yeah, but there's a catch. This is in a baseball theory class. Typically girls don't do super well in the class, since they have less experience and background than the guys do. Well she beat all the guys in our class. A girl has never earned an "A" on any of my tests..."

WHOO HOOO!!! I was on a high all freakin' day haha. I was so stoked that I did well. I absolutely love it. Indescribable.


The other cool moment of that Wednesday? We touched brains in my Light & Sound class. :D The smell was a bit horrid, of course, but who cares?? This brain even still had the spinal cord still attached! And the next one down still had the eyeballs. :P



  
Friday was a tad less exciting than the rest of the week, sadly. But I promised I'd get out and relax. Well my only class was choir, and WOW. You could definitely tell that several girls had taken a 3-day weekend. Butt munches. I'm in the front row, and usually five or six rows behind me are decently full on a regular day of class. This picture is about 3 minutes before class is about to start. More girls trickled in eventually, but it was SO empty...


I come home from choir at 11:30 or so, and I'm exhausted haha. I fall asleep on the couch, and I wake up when Gill gets home. We both wander into the kitchen, starving for some good, homemade food. So what do we both love and have the supplies for?? Hashbrowns, breakfast sausage, and pancakes by your's truly. (:


We all finished our homework, and Jessi wanted to go OUT to eat dinner. None of them, other than me, had been to Gator Jack's, so we went there. They didn't like the prices and wanted to go somewhere else. So we head to Costa Vida. About the same price, but more for your money haha. Of course, Friday night, the line is AWFUL. So Gill, Cynthia, and their friend Jessica walk over to Wingers and order something, while Jessi, Kalie, and I get Costa Vida. (: These pictures were taken after waiting in line a while, before Gill took off for Winger's.

Gill, Jessi, and Kalie


No clue, to be honest...


We went back to the apartment, invited a couple FHE guys over for a couple movies, and we all vegged out, watched chick flicks (yes, the guys, too), and talked about March Madness haha. Great fun. (:

TODAY! Gill and I both rolled out of bed pretty early, since our church doesn't start until noon (bleh). But I had extra time, and I decided that I had never worn my "homecoming" dress to church before. Typically I find it to be too fancy for church, but I didn't really care today. So I put my black long-sleeve under, and I headed off to church feeling happy, confident, and pretty haha. Love those days. (; My roommates were running on "slightly late" today, oddly, so I took off without them. Snapped a picture on my way out the door. :P Yes. It was bright outside, since the sun was shining on the new snow (arghhh).


And now, what am I doing?! Singing. A tad. Jessi plays guitar, and Gill plays the ukulele; they enjoy jamming out, and I enjoy singing along. (; So here we are, just chilling in mine and Gill's room. Having a ball!


Anyways, I'm off to go watch the Harry Potter marathon with the roomies! I love and miss you all. (:

No comments:

Post a Comment