Friday, March 9, 2012

Lessons Learned

It's been a rather...odd week, to be quite honest. I don't think I have EVER had quite so many ups and downs. Nevertheless, I've learned SO much from it all. We shall start where I left off: last Friday.

My day was fine, whatever. The only highlight during the day was that two gals fell asleep in the front row of my last class, right in front of the teacher. Embarrassing, but whatever. That night, however, was entertaining haha. My roommates, Gill, Jessi, Kalie, and Leah decided it would be BOMB to make a fort and have a movie night. Needless to say, I hadn't made a fort since Dene' and I shared a room when we first moved into town haha. But holy cow, did they get creative!!

This, here, is Leah!! Just chilling in the fort and waiting for popcorn. (;


Pretty extravagant, right?!


The fort/movie night was going well, but we were all RUDELY interrupted when some fools (actually it was two guys whom Kalie knew and was trying to avoid and two other girls) who barged into our apartment and threw Valentine's cards everywhere. We were so confused. I was in the front entry, and the fools still had more cards on the porch, so they ran out; on their way out, one guy picked up the cards on the porch, turned and chucked them through the door at my face before closing the door and drove off...Oooh was I ticked. I had a small little cut above my lip, but I didn't particularly care. The fools just ticked me off overall. So here is what everything looked like after the fools left. I'm standing on the chair, which is in the corner of our front entry.

Cards are EVERYWHERE!!


Well that put a damper on our night, obviously. I don't think my roommates ever finished the movie they had been watching. (Side note: I was never a part of the fort or movie night haha. I was doing homework in the front entry. :P ) So from this event, I learned three things:

ONE: Maybe we really should start locking the doors after midnight or so. Not that I don't trust Rexburg people. I just don't feel like picking up anymore used valentines.

TWO: Never throw paper or anything of the sort at anyone's face. It does, in fact, hurt.

THREE: There is an extent on how many valentines a girl likes. Once you can't see the floor anymore, due to so many cards? Yeah, that's about the time where we just get annoyed.

Saturday! I don't think I had ever learned SO much in one day. All on my own. All because of my own doing...I woke up around nine or ten and started finishing a short little paper I had to write for my online class. My friend, Shaun, stopped by for maybe an hour. He left, and I was done with homework. You would think that the first thought that runs through my head is, "Wow! A whole day of absolutely nothing on my 'To Do' list. How am I going to waste my day today?!"...Nope. I closed the laptop, went in my room, and laid on my bed. I could not figure out how or why, but I was feeling so unbelievably alone. I wanted to curl up in my blankets, cry a little, and sleep the day through. So I continued to lay there for a bit, I dozed off for maybe ten minutes...Something inside me knew that I couldn't waste this day, though. Something changed. I got out of bed and changed into my BYU-I workout clothes, and grabbed my blanket, sweats, sweatshirt, scriptures, journal, and keys. I threw everything into Christian's car and took off for the gym first. I'm not a huge fan of working out in the main athletics center in the Hart, but Gill and I have both discovered the old weights room. It is now used for late night yoga and martial arts classes, but hardly anyone ever goes here during the day. Typically I come here, set out a mat, stretch for quite some time, and do some ab workouts. I was in there for a good 45 minutes to an hour--just stretching, relaxing, listening to music, driving my bad, negative mood away.


After a rough ab workout, I jogged over to the I-Center and ran a mile on the track. I continued to wander around the I-Center a bit, because I knew I couldn't go back to my apartment; something about it was just putting me in an awful negative mood that day. So I went out to the car, checked how much gas I had and took off on unknown roads. It was chilly and a little cloudy out, but I didn't mind. I headed up to the temple but drove past it. I took winding  roads and a dirt road or two. Since I've been to Rexburg, I had never felt more at home than when I was driving past all the fields and circles.


After driving quite some time, I found myself on the FAR north east end of Rexburg. I had no clue where I was, but I kept driving and saw the temple. So that is where I headed to. I parked in the temple parking lot, pulled out my scriptures and journal, and began reading/writing. My journal is incredible; the whole thing focuses on basically being more happy. Focusing more on the positive rather than dwelling on the negative. Being grateful for all that we have.


So that is what I did. I focused on all that I have. Everything I'm grateful for. Why I love being happy...That is what I learned. No matter my circumstances or moods, I can choose to be happy. I can do something about where I am and what I am doing, so that I can be happier. Happiness is always an option; it is up to us to make that choice, though.
~~~
I learned something else later on Saturday evening, also! I came home from my drive, made something for dinner, and started playing Super Mario with Gill. She mentioned a dance that night and that I should go, but I wasn't totally sure. Gill and I watched an episode of Psych, and she started getting ready for the dance, which started at nine. Well it wasn't until about 8:30 that I decided I would go. I slapped on some makeup and ruled out changing into more "dance-like" clothes. About ten after the hour, we all headed out to the Hart building, me in my jeans and softball t-shirt haha...I must apologize to all my roommates, because I did, indeed, have an absolute blast with them. (:

Liiights (:


Miss Kalie and I, stoked for...absolutely nothing, but who cares!


Jessi (on the left) and Gill dancing their boo-tays off (;


The wonderful Gillian and I!


And the last picture of the night! Gill and I looking normal, and Kalie lookin' like a creeper. Awesome.


Well that basically concludes my exciting week. What I learned from the dance?? To get out on occasion; pull my nose out of the books and assignments; go dance and be crazy. (: Nothing else too exciting has occurred this week, lucky for me. Just lots of classes and few assignments (thank heavens!). However, after clean checks yesterday, all of my roommates left for various activities. So what did I do? Stuck in a chick flick, pulled on my sweats, and cuddled up in my fuzzy blanket. It was glorious alone time. (:

Lastly, I've decided I should eventually have at least one picture of all my roommates, so you have an idea of who the heck I'm talking about?!...Well this is Jessi (Jessica) studying in mine and Gill's room, teaching us all she knows about microbiology!!

No, those are not her real glasses (;


Love you all!! Adios mis amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment