Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Teeter Teachings

Although I didn't really have much of any work all last week, it was fairly...Insane. After a tedious afternoon of searching for jobs last Wednesday, I did finally get a couple calls! Definitely not what my first picks would've been, but I decided this is no time to be picky haha. SO...I figured out how to suck up my pride and agree to go in for a short interview Thursday afternoon for a solar energy company, Future Energy Savers. My job? Well the fancy word they use is: "Canvasser". Basically I knock on doors, give my pitch, and see if they'll set an appointment to get a free quote for solar energy. No, it's not commission only (thank heavens), and no, it's actually not a company wanting to rip homeowners off! After going through training and learning more about the company and such, I've found that it's a great investment. Lots to it, but just know that all's going well with the job haha. Anywho! After agreeing to meet the next day for a quick interview, I relaxed a bit.

Friday...All I really remember about Friday is going to my "interview", which was probably one of the--dare I say it?--funnest(?) interviews I've ever had haha. The guy was really outgoing and mostly just wanting to see if I could look him in the eye, is I was presentable, and if I was confident enough to take some rejection from homeowners. He was pretty hilarious and hired me right there. Told me to be at training at 10:30 the next morning and let me go after 15 minutes or so. I get home annnd Trista and I decided we wanted to go to the movies that night with everyone! :D So we went to see "Brave", and I loved it! Beforehand, however, Brooklyn was experimenting. She claimed that she was gonna make cookies. It soon changed to muffins...They actually ended up a bit like chocolate eggy things. Not bad, honestly haha. Very different, that's for sure haha. Brook then asked to take some to the movies with us. :P



Friday, I went to the 3-ish hours of training, learned a ton, and was paid to sit there and listen! Greatest thing ever about training; you are paid to learn. Awesome haha. I really don't remember the rest of what we did on Friday other than Trista and the kids went to the trampoline place again haha.

Saturday was...well, like the rest of the week: Insane. On Saturdays we work from 9 to 2, so I got my first taste of work as a door-knocker haha. Us newbies were put with a veteran and basically followed them around for the first hour or so. I was lucky and was paired with a funny black guy, named Chris; he definitely is an optimistic person and made walking around rather entertaining. Unfortunately for him, I must've been bad luck, because he didn't get any leads while I was with him for the first hour and a half. We finally separated, and I didn't do half bad! Minus the one guy who hit on me, I got about the same as everyone else, including the veterans. It was a pretty easy day, we went back to the office, and I was off to the beach with my visiting teaching partner, Kelsey, and a bunch of others from the ward!! Holy crap, I was so giddy when I finally saw the ocean haha. This is Kelsey (the back of her haha) and walking down to the beach. :D





Kelsey, another friend (Melissa), and I were the first people from the ward there for about an hour. I didn't pass up the chance to go wave jumping, though. It was incredible! I've decided I should've been born in California. (; Anywho! So yes, I went swimming and such for a while, went back to dry off before everyone else came, and found that more people had shown up! Actually it was just one person haha, but whatever. So I dried off and chilled and waited for others to come. Luckily, they had brought a beach volleyball net, a couple volleyballs, frisbees, football, etc. It was awesome! So a good-sized group of us started a game and had a blast. (: This is Andy, me, and Ben, getting ready for domination. (;


(It was pretty amusing, because when I gave my talk last week, the bishop usually gives a little bit of info about each of the speakers. Typically that includes callings or something. Well, for me, he mentioned being from Washington, and instead of mentioning my calling, he said, "Annnd she can usually be found tearing it up on the court or field or wherever after church activities, giving all the guys a run for their money, whether it's basketball, ultimate frisbee, or volleyball."...So yesterday when the bishop asked how the beach was, apparently he couldn't help but ask about how my team did in the volleyball games haha.)

Anywho! You can't go to the beach without having a bonfire and s'mores!



In the last blog post I had mentioned my other friend, Autum, whom I give rides to all over for church activities haha. It's nice, because she's such a sweetheart. Neither of us talk much while driving anywhere, but we don't mind. I enjoy just chilling with her and singing to whatever music is on. Anywho, this is her and I right after she evilly stole my marshmallow off my skewer haha.


And, of course, our big group of awesomeness!



Autum wanted to go walk along the beach, and that sounded like a fantastic idea to me, so I went along with!




I got home from the beach just before midnight, smelling like smoke and finding sand everywhere. Had a great day at church, finished (for the most part) getting things organized for the 4th of July activity, and came home to relax. Finished the night off by watching "A Walk to Remember" with Trista and catching a spider for Brook haha. Now I am awaiting the time to go to work (Mondays through Thursday we work from 12:30pm to 8-ish). The highlight of my morning, however, has been this:


No, that is not Sam under the blanket. Nor is it Brooklyn. That would Trista crawling on the floor, being a spy under her blanket. Let me remind you that she is over the age of 25 hahaha. Brook and Sam had just sneaked past my door as spies, and I was not expecting anyone else. Well I busted up laughing when I was Trista creeping past my door like this hahaha. Apparently I'm a monster in my cage, so Brooklyn and Sam have come to slaughter me for dinner haha.

Sam: "Arghhh!"



Haha I am sad that I'll be taking off for the next eight hours for work; I'm missing the best hours of the day! Oh well...

--TWO DAYS LATER--

So work went well the last couple of days, not much to say about it...Actually, maybe there is more to say, but I'm far too pooped. I just finished this Fourth of July stake activity I helped plan, but I'll save that for the next blog. Since this post is a little short, I figured now would be a good time to insert a list I've been making since I visited Rexburg and Washington. (: Drum rolllll, pleaseeeee...

~Teeter Teachings~

ONE: Have a good balance. Don't feel bad about wasting a whole day inside, watching Netflix; just make sure you spend the next day outside, exercising, etc.
TWO: Question everything and always wonder. The most common question Trista asks the kids: "Why do you think that happens?" You learn all sorts of incredible things! Komodo dragons, prices of bumper boats, polliwogs, insects, etc.

THREE: Rise early and retire early. Granted I've always been taught this through the church, I've never understood the impact until living with Trista & fam. I really understood the impact once I began to nanny. The significant amount of increased energy is almost like a natural high. A true blessing!

FOUR: Write in your journal. Again, another thing I've been taught all my life. I began to truly grasp this my second semester in college, but I have so much respect for Trista, because she seems to do it so often. She always mentions all the things she wants to write down, has written down, or is sad she leeps forgetting to write down. I need to be better at writing the little, daily experiences.

FIVE: Stop fearing bugs! I still am confused as to why people first began to fear bugs. Brooklyn and Sam pick up any kind of bug, never knowing if it's even dangerous haha. Sure, there's a breaking point of how many bugs I mind in the house lol, but I'm learning there's nothing bad about them. I even caught a spider the other night for Brooklyn; I think it's dead now. :/

SIX: Food, period. I've been spoiled by all the fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy tacos and pizza, whole grain/gluten-free homemade breads, and amazing granola. Quality and healthy food makes  a huge difference. Take for example, my first night on my trip to Rexburg. Costa Vida enchilada and cookies=awake until 5 am, puking and eating only saltines the next day.

SEVEN: "Nonviolent communication". For those of us who struggle explaining themselves or what they are feeling...This has been a blessing to use with the mother of the kids I was a nanny for, friends, family, etc.

EIGHT: Kids. Some say they are the best birth control; others say they are the biggest blessings of their lives. Take fair warning, because both are true.

NINE: Showering everyday is not a necessity; neither is putting on a pair of jeans haha. Shorts or sweats are just fine. (; Trista and I both know that if either of us puts on a pair of jeans, they are planning on going somewhere that day. However, I do still love my shower. :P

TEN: Farting fish apps+Sam/Brooklyn=Endless Giggles. (:

ELEVEN: Cleanliness can put you in the best mood. Going over to nanny, where it isn't as clean as I prefer, and then cleaning up a bit would put me and the kids in better moods. But then once I go home to Trista's? I feel so relaxed, because I know she is just as picky (if not more haha) about being clean and organized. It's a glorious feeling and makes me want to help clean, also.

TWELVE: Minimalism! I've found that clutter and junk really put me on edge. I am still looking through my closet at those shirt I haven't worn in a few months and am tempted to give them away. But the point is: having what you need and a few things of what you want is much simpler than having all those "Just-In-Case" things.

THIRTEEN: Patience is not JUST refraining from screaming when you're flaming mad; it is also sitting next to your 6-year old daughter and cringing as she insists trimming her own hair. Phew!

FOURTEEN: Books can be intimidating, but there are "worlds without end" within them. Read more often.

FIFTEEN: Sushi! Marie, AKA Frenchy, was the first to have me try it. I loved it, but I never thought to try it again. After a few years, Trista got some for us on the drive down to CA. Now? I'm always craving it haha.

SIXTEEN: I have an awful addiction to solitaire in my free time; it borders unhealthy haha.

SEVENTEEN: Don't try and fix your kids' "speech impediments" right away. Sometimes, at the end of a work day, the best thing to come home to is: "Wanny!!!" (:

The End
(For now)

No comments:

Post a Comment